[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: WGIG - Caucuses meeting?

William Drake wdrake at ictsd.ch
Wed Feb 2 14:21:27 GMT 2005

Hi Jeanette,

A first CS stocktaking meeting on the evening of the 15th sounds like good
timing.  For a second meeting, bearing in mind that the prepcom plenary will
debate IG on the 24th, it might make sense to do the evening of the 23rd (if
people want to coordinate on possible interventions) or the evening of the
24th (if a post hoc next steps type session is preferred).  On scheduling a
lunchtime caucus meeting, the 16th would probably be better, since the 17th
is a closed working session for WGIG that will undoubtedly spill into
lunchtime discussion.

On content, I hope we don't spend too much time walking through the details
of all the WGIG Issue Papers, and that the governments don't do this either
in the open consultation sessions.  Per the disclaimer at
http://www.wgig.org/working-papers.html, they're just input docs by
particular groupings of WGIG members that can be drawn on in identifying
issues and writing the eventual report, and there is some risk of losing
time over-analyzing them.  The real need is build some degree of CS
consensus on the issues they address, rather than to dissect the varying
formulations advanced in the papers.

There are a couple of items that we might want to consider adding to the
agenda of either the larger CS meeting or the caucus meeting:

*The previously discussed question of seeking to open the ITU to CSO
participation.  When I raised this a couple months ago, a dozen people on
the caucus list replied that they were interested in participating in a
meeting.  If we want to try and schedule one during the prepcom, when ITU
leadership presumably will be extremely busy, we should decide that now so I
can try to set it up (presumably we're talking about Zhao and key staff),
and we would need to have a prior discussion on how to make this productive,
inter alia by reviewing ITU rules, developing a proposal, and identifying
potential allies.

*A discussion of possible post-WGIG/WSIS institutional reforms/additions
that could address, on an open global multistakeholder basis, holistic
approaches and the horizontal institutional issues.  There will be a
meeting, probably on the 21st, on the proposed Global Alliance successor to
the UNICT TF, and there are various other ideas floating around about
reforms/new arrangements, the potential interrelationships of which are
unclear.  It might be useful to have at least a brief discussion on
strategic orientations toward such initiatives.

Best,

Bill