[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Alliance on Closing Digital Divide Meets Next Week

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Fri Sep 29 21:27:41 BST 2006

Dear Michael
I'm fully in agreement with your opinion about the "1.0" (or 1G) telecenters failure. I'd just add one more reason in my view. Generally running costs aren't appraised. Nor are they provided beyond the short term (if they are). Therefore a sustainable solution consists in involving local people or -what's more effective- local partner organisation(s), and in devoting a small part of the revenue earned through services made available by the telecenter, to meet these particular costs. However, depending on access technology used, there are large differences in running costs, as far as communication fees are considered. If you use satelllite technology, the costs (airtime fees) are (far) much higher than if you use terrestrial wireless access technology and link your telecenter to the nearest existing network node. In most cases this is the strongest argument. That's why CSDPTT gives the highest priority to the latter solution and strongly supports development of terrestrial networks as far as they are feasible, both economically and technically.
All the best
Jean-Louis Fullsack
President, CSDPTT (www.csdptt.org)