[Lac] Fw: [Working Methods] interesting paper on NGO conflicts at durban conference

Diego Saravia dsa at unsa.edu.ar
Tue Jan 4 23:56:08 GMT 2005

interesante
Greetings all,

I have been looking for reports and analysis of NGO organizational
structures and conflict-resolution from other UN processes all day.  So
far I have been mostly unsuccessful.  If others know of any studies,
please send along the sources and links.

I did just re-read a report prepared by WFM on conflicts among NGOs at
the Durban racism summit  (
http://www.wfm.org/ACTION/racismconf1101.html ).  It's good reading, if
only to remind us of what challenges other conferences faced.  One
paragraph that struck me was on the issue of caucuses:

> ...the basic element of the NGO forum was the caucus. Only the
> caucuses voted in the plenary, submitted texts, ran the thematic
> commissions during the forum discussions and formed the component
> parts of the Declaration and Program of Action. Despite the centrality
> of caucuses to the Forum, there were never any clear rules, or indeed
> any written rules, about who could form a caucus or how a caucus could
> be formed. In practice any group of individuals could signify to the
> organizers that they wished to form a caucus based on region or victim
> group or theme (the Palestinian cause ended up having four caucuses:
> the Palestinian caucus, Arab and Middle East Caucus, Environmental
> Racism, and Colonialism and Foreign Occupation Caucus). There was much
> confusion in the process of setting up the caucuses, several groups
> felt disenfranchised, and were allowed to form caucuses after the
> deadline (on condition that there were at least ten people in the
> caucus), then this decision was repealed and some had to disassemble.
> The situation with the thematic commissions was equally problematic.
> Finally there were over 40 caucuses but only 25 thematic commissions.
> Some caucuses had to join commissions they did not run. Voting in the
> commissions was a perplexing as voting in the plenary. The rules
> circulated stated there would be a majority vote if there was no
> consensus, but they did not stated a majority of whom: the relevant
> caucus or anyone that happened to be in the room.

Thus we see that civil society in the Durban conference faced some of
our key questions, namely:

1. who can constitute a caucus
2. how decisions are made in plenary
3. who drafts NGO consensus documents